Monday, January 08, 2007

The roomate has landed

So in the first post I said that this guy

Wyatt was moving out. He is grazing in greener pastures either at the dorm here in Budapest or in Nebraska. I don’t know which, the jury is still out.

So we naturally had to find a replacement and I have to tell you I was pretty worried about getting a replacement because if we didn't find one we would have been screwed. Luck was on our side the day Jen found us a roommate on Craig’s List. What are the odds? No one here uses Craig’s List!

She managed to find us not just anyone, but a orchestra conductor. Well for truth’s sake apprentice orchestra conductor.



He is living here for two weeks a month and living in London for the other two, where he can do this thing called W-O-R-K (?). When he is here he is constantly under the gun of his own personal Donald so he can't hang out and make a ruckus like we usually do. He doesn’t want to hear those fateful words! So I have been waiting for an appropriate moment to introduce him to the blog, because we haven't been had a roomate bonding moment yet. It happened today.

That all changed today and I think Ben has officially become a member of this apartment. incidentally the apartment is now being called Jokai Ter(rorism) (this has nothing to do with Ben, or maybe it does). Before I go any further I may as well give you a picture of him.



So here is his intro story
and its quite a story

When we moved in here in September our kitchen was equipped with a nice looking but poorly secured cabinet. Its probably 9 feet high and 3 feet wide and the bottom section was a pull out pantry. Around the first time we bought a sack of potatoes we found out that if you put too much weight in the bottom of the pull-out drawer
the whole cabinet falls down. Now Jen figured this out first and put a sign on the cabinet that said "FIGYELEM: This shit falls down!" which roughly translates to "WATCH OUT: This shit falls down." But if you are new to the cabinet it may mislead you. While it may seem that the drawer is not out far enough to make it fall, it sometimes creeps out and sneaks up on you. It did that to Ben.

So tonight we were eating dinner and Ben went into the kitchen to make some tea and then I heard what was the third loudest sound I heard in this apartment.
In case you are wondering the list goes like this
1. The neighbors hammering in their kitchen (which i share a wall with) at 9AM on a SATURDAY
2. The other neighbor listening to her TV
3. THE CABINET


The sound was the cabinet crashing down in the kitchen, taking a lot stuff out with it, including a trashy IKEA table we already ruined, a lot of food, and a mysterious coffee maker that we didn't know of before. Here are some pics of the it.





PUT YOU BELT ON MARKO!

Marko defending the kitchen with the broken table leg and a hammer

”Step aside Jen, we are MEN and we can fix it”

IN MEMORAL- We loved you cabinet ;(



So Ben, welcome to your Budapest home. We all have ruined our fair share of things so far so don;t feel bad. At least you didn't lock yourself in the bathroom and have to kick the door down like me

or break the bed like Kate (our house guest who also came from Australia).

and you don't need to ask me how the fake blood got on the wall

3 comments:

Veruka2 said...

--Call David!
--Call David?
--Yes!
--And tell him what? That you locked yourself in the bathroom and you're naked?
--Yes.
--No.
--Please?
--Not till I hear _real_ shame in your voice.

culture_vulture said...

I BROKE NOTHING.
I'm just sayin'.
Love the pictures. R.I.P. sweet cabinet.

kd said...

yeah look so maybe i broke the communal bed but it's not as though i got anything good out of it... i mean i wasn't doing anything exciting on it. but i was glad when (on my second day of knowing you all) that none of you came into the living room to see me with my arse stuck down the hole where the wooden slats used to be and my knees getting up close and personal with my boobs. all in my bright red thermal long johns too. i think you missed out.