Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sure they invented ballpoint pens, saftey matches, and the Rubik's Cube, but can they make a music video?

So there are a few music videos rolling around the internet that can be credited to the artistic talents of Hungarian performers. No, I am not talking about this one where I am almost caught on tape riding a tank though Deak Ter. I am referring to two that have become so popular that they have been showcased on our dear English speaking ex-pat blog Pestiside.hu. Their article is pretty funny but I before you jump to their page to read their article I want you to watch these two videos and and then answer the question at the bottom.

WARNING these videos are kinda long, but worth every second

Cuki Vagyok
1st is from a young girl who goes by the name Cuki (sue-key [pronounced like the two 3-letter English words in this parenthesis])which is the diminutive of Cukor the Hungarian word for sugar. Vagyok is the first person singular of the verb to be. So basically she is saying "I am Sweetie." Watch the video.

Speak the Hungarian Rapper
2nd is Speak the Hungarian Rapper. He laments about "the war." I think that is the East-coast v. West-coast rap war of the mid 1990s but hell it may be about the War on Terror or World War Two for all I know. Here is the video.


Now the question is which one is taking itself completely serious and which one is tongue-and-cheek (at least a bit)?









Magyar Youtube Videos


Which one of these videos is a joke?


Cuki Vagyok

Speak the Hungarian Rapper




View Results




Now go and read the article from Pestiside.hu. I will even give you the link again. I love what can turn into internet meme.

No comments: