Thursday, January 04, 2007

Who are you calling a Weiner?


So you may or may not know (who am I kidding no one I don't know reads this) I have a girlfriend. Her name is Meghan and we have been going out for 5 years. She is beautiful, exciting, and a great kisser. She also has her own blog, I recommend it to you because its probably better than mine.I was lucky enough to spend the last 2 weeks with her here in Budapest and while she was here we took a trip to Vienna (Not Venice as my mother my have told you. We went there almost 2 years ago (Geez Mom get with the times :)).






In Vienna we gave up on most of the classical art museums and instead spend almost a full day in two modern art museums the KUNSTHALLE Wien, (which translates to The Art Hall of Vienna) and the MUMOK (or the Museaum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien. I wont and cant translate that.) The MUMOK had a really interesting exhibition on Erwin Wurm. He is big on criticizing what art is and how art is made. Many of his sculptures are interactive. He calls them 30 second sculptures and basically its an object or a few of them and some directions about what you are supposed to do with the objects. You create the sculpture for 30 seconds and therefore become the art.

Here are some examples and Meghan and I metamorphizing into art.


The directions basically say "Do what this guy is doing for 30 seconds"

This is me doing it (oh so gracefully)

and here is Meghan


There was a whole exhibit of drawings of people sitting and thinking of philosophers. Meghan participated in this one and this is a picture of Meghan grudgingly thinking of Spinoza, thank god it was only for 30 seconds. I don't think she is (would have been) on the best of term with him.


This one is called "The Idiot" so of course I was the one who completed the sculpture

Here is me doing it

The last one was probably the best. He took an orange lawn chair and screwed it to the wall and the duty of the sculptee is to fold themselves up in the lawn chair like so
or like this



Wurm also had two other really interesting sculptures one of a fat house that had a video inside on the inside of the house questioning if it was a house of a work of art

OK OK OK I will quit boring you with modern art, but one last thing. Going along with the concept of "Fat and Confused" he made a fat Porsche that confuses the term fat as in fancy or powerful or amazingly rich and fat as in fat.

Meghan got in some trouble trying to take a picture of this sculpture because it is not a 30 second sculpture and therefore they can make money off of post card sales
I bought the postcard for
€1.10


Check out my amazing placement in the picture. I am standing directly between the docent who yelled at Meghan for trying to take this picture a few min earlier and Meghan's lens! Docent 0, Stephen and Meghan 1 SCORE!!!

No comments: